Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Mommy Made Playdough

I put Devon to sleep at his normal time of 6:30pm, but the little stinker just wasnt ready for bed. So, I got him up to play for a little while longer. He was determined to get into things that he knows he's not supposed to, and this time, he was obsessed with the Play-doh tub that Grandma uses for Daycare. So, I plopped him in the highchair, so he could watch what I was doing, fed him some goldfish crackers and started cooking a non-toxic, edible playdough. I didn't want to use the common Peanut Butter variety, because I don't want him to think that he should always eat it, so we opted for the Koolaid version and shorted the koolaid on the recipie. It turned out great! and let me tell you, I tasted a bit of it and it's super salty! Devon loved to play with it and we made playdough masks, and glasses and squished it up for about 3o mins!!



Kool-Aid Playdough Recipie

1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Salt
3t Cream of Tarter
1T Vegetable Oil
1 Cup Water
1 package unsweetened Kool-Aid

Mix the dry ingredients together in a large sauce pan. On Medium heat, slowly pour in the Water and oil, stir until a doughy consistency. Remove from pan and kneed until it cools down. I discovered that if it's still really sticky, you can put it back into the pan and flip it a couple times until the edges firm up.

The end result is the same consistency as store bought play-doh

2 comments:

DJ said...

I loved that you posted the recipe, the pictures of him playing are so cute, you're right, he is so obsessed with playdoh and just playing with the big kids at the table with the "table toys"...things like puzles, string beads, small legos, sorting, stacking and any kind of small, fine motor and math manipulatives. He's really good with them too.

Michelle Lee said...

Great post April. I want to try that recipe out when I am watching Tiffy's kids after school. Devon is getting so big now. He likes playing play dough in his highchair, I can tell. What a cute little boy.