Friday, June 27, 2008

The Last Great Frontier

I have just returned from my Fabulous Alaskan Vacation. I was lucky enough to be able to spend a little over a week up in Fairbanks to share a beautiful wedding with my best friend Heidie. She has been my best friend since 8th grade, and over the years, we have both grown in different directions, however, we find that even if we don't talk for a space of time, our friendship continues to grow stronger.


This is me in my Maid of Honor dress. Loved it!!!


This is Todd Powers, Heidie's new Husband. He has a huge heart and he loves Heidie to death. They have known each other for many years and just recently discovered there was much more to their friendship.


This is Beautiful Heidie. I had the honor of making her veil... I didn't actually 'make' it, but I sewed the lavender ribbon around the edges.


This is Todd and my friend Clem from High school and his little boy Dillon (13 months). What a cutie!! He made me miss my little Devon so badly!

Here is me lacing up the back of Heidie's dress.


I had Heidie hold her boquet behind her back and then I photo shopped it in black and white. I plan on doing a cd for her as soon as she gets her wedding photos in


Jason (the best man) His little boy (the ring bearer) and myself (the maid of honor)


'The actual wedding' There was a little rainstorm that blew in right as we were doing the ceremony. As soon as the wedding was over, it started to rain and we all ran inside.. it was perfect!

This is a picture I took of the Nenana river from the top of Chena Ridge rd. I stole a car from Heidie and drove around Fairbanks to places that I remember going.


This is a normal road.. most of them are dirt.


Heidie and Todd dancing at the Silver Spur the night before the wedding. We all stopped by after the Rehersal dinner for a couple drinks (of course, mine where Diet Coke).


The whole Gang. (from Left to right) Me, Tamara, Heidie Sam (in the back), Karen (in the front), Kali and Geniveve. We were all wearing buttons that announced what our roles were for the wedding.


I stopped by a little hiking trail, and they had these signs posted.. I couldn't help but take pictures. So Alaskan!



This is a house at the top of Chena Ridge Road. This is a 'rich area'. This house looked amazing!!


Fireweed on the side of the road



I couldn't pass this one up. I pulled a U-turn at the dump and this car was parked there! Looks like it hit a moose!
Here is a picture of the Alyaska pipeline.



On the other side of the pipeline was a trail that headed up the side of the hill. I hiked to the top and walked around a bit, there was a lot of moss and plants, and then I thought I heard a moose so I ran back down the trail and almost ate it!



Alaska at Midnight!

This is a Fort that Heidie's dad built for her brother. I was looking out there and saw a fox that was sitting there and checking me outThis is a picture of Flash and Oogjen from the backyard of her mom's house. Heidie and her dad built this barn and it is so neat. Because it's built on a hill, this side is level with the ground, but when you walk inside, you have to go down a flight of stairs to get down to the horses. The best part is the hay is kept upstairs and she has trap doors that are right above the feeders... you just open a door and drop the hay! Sweet!
Just a picture of the road and how green everything is


This is at the Gold mine




This is the new horse that Todd just bought, his name is Gunner and I beleive he is almost 2.

Here is me with Lena and her new baby Nicky. She was barely 2 weeks when I got there.









This is Flash (left) and Oogjen (pronounced Oh-Jen.. It's Norwejen for 'old man'). The collar on his neck is to keep him from cribbing.

Oogjen says 'Hi'
Nicky is taking a nap. She layed down and fell asleep and started nickering and running in her sleep

So, yes, I actually got on a plane and Flew for a 12 hour flight to and from Alaska. I think I did really well and realized that I can handle planes now! I really miss Alaska and would love to move back up there, but I do enjoy living close to my family.. especially with a little one year old!

















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a awsome time April:) The horses are beautiful and I love the little baby one!!! I bet you missed Devin like crazy;0

Jennifer said...

Awesome job on your blog page! I love all your pictures and story telling. You look so pretty in purple! I loved the dirt road and you saying that this is how roads are in Alaska-really gives you a new perspective at rustic living. How beautiful it must have been to live up there in God's green country. The horses were so cute. What a different lifestyle it would be to live there so far from rush hour citylife...Nice! Love Jenn

Ashley said...

I wish I was in Alaska. I liked the picture of the horse by the lake, that looked like it should be in a magazine and the funny horse face, that was great. Miss you